OT: RC Vaccine?

John W plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 00:35:03 -0700

On Monday 06 August 2001 07:07, you wrote:
> Just had a crazy thought about all this RC mess. How about writing an
> anti-worm-worm (or vaccine) that uses the same infection method, but
> removes all copies of the RC and RCII worm from the system, notifies the
> system admin of each box it's run on and then kills itself after a
> specified date? You could then write a script on your apache system that
> logs the IP of the infected host, and then schedules an
> anti-infection-infection to be run later. Whaddya think? Good, bad, ugly?
> =op
>
> -- Mondoshawan

 What if this same program installed a batch file or AT command to launch the
antivirus and or just go to windows update and get the patch for this worm.
Better yet just formatted the HD. Because of it I have extremely low
bandwidth, 60-100kbps on my cable modem which usually has downstream
throughput of 2+mbps, my brother in-law has Qwest DSL and can't even get
online because of this thing. The worst part is they (Cox/Qwest) can do
nothing about it.

John