Linux @ Ten

Jeffrey Pyne plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 09:35:15 -0700

You are correct that the park in question is Encanto Park.  It's very nice:
a duck pond, tons of trees, families having picnics, etc.  You are mistaken
about it being in a "not nicest" part of town, though.  The neighborhoods
surrounding the park are historic (built between 1900 and 1950) and are some
of the nicest in the Valley.  Homes just east of the park (Encanto-Palmcroft
neighborhood) sell for as much as $250,000 to $500,000.  The Del Norte
neighborhood (just west of the park) is a little more reasonable ($150,000
to $300,000), as are some of the other nearby neighborhoods (Willo, Fairview
Place, F.Q. Story).  Homeowners there have been enjoying property
appreciation of 15-35% for the last few years.  They have active
neighborhood associations, block watches, etc.  So unless ( ! a gated
community ) == ( ! nice ), I would have to disagree.  Also, I live in
Fairview Place, 2 blocks from Encanto Park, so I can vouch for its niceness.
:)  The area you're thinking of is south of I-10 (the President streets).  A
friend lives at 5th St. and Garfield.  He's got easy access to prostitutes
(male, female, transvestite) and drugs (you name it), but it's also walking
distance to BOB, which is why he lives there.

~Jeff