control panel suggestions?

David P. Schwartz plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 04 Aug 2001 13:51:46 -0700

When you purchase *nix hardware from many vendors, they include "control
panel" software.  Eg., one I'm familiar with is from RaQ, that includes a nice
software management package.  There's a sysadmin interface, a site admin
interface (for managing user accounts on virtual sites hosted on the machine),
and a user-level admin interface (for managing your own email and basic web
settings).

I'm looking for a nice package like this that can be installed on virtually
any *nix system.  I'm familiar with one, H*Sphere, but it seems to force you
to run certain versions of things and you cannot update them, like it prefers
a particular email package and version number.  (This is how it _looks_, but I
could be mistaken.)

I've got a Debian 2.2 server that I want to set up several virtual hosts on,
and I want to give the users at one of these sites the ability to self-manage
their account info, like what they'd get with the RaQ management system.

(I think Stormix was getting ready to release something like this before they
folded.  Anybody know whatever happened to it?  It doesn't even seem to be on
their web site any more, suggesting that perhaps somebody else has taken it
over.)

Any suggestions?

-David Schwartz