News Servers

Brian Cluff plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 4 Aug 2001 10:25:27 -0700 (MST)

> Does anyone have any experience setting up a news server?
>
> I want to run a news server off my server at home so I can get access
> to a few news groups while at work.  We don't have any news servers
> available from work.
>
> Is it possible to have a server that just replicates a specific news
> group, not mirroring all of them?  Or do they only allow you to start
> your own?
>
> I really don't know anything about news servers, so if I am not making
> any sense, please excuse me... <me> slaps upside the head</me>

Well you have a couple of options here.  There is a program called "suck"
that will pull over just a few news groups into your news server, but I
think that you would probably be better off just using port forwarding and
just allow forwarding of the news port for your IP at work. That way you
have complete access to all the news groups without the mess and extra
harddrive space of having to setup your you own mirror of it.  Thats what
my co-worker did, so that he could gain access to the @home news server
from work. It seems to work well.

Brian Cluff