Linux From Scratch...

Trent Shipley plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 13:50:16 -0700

Assuming one had a C complier on another system set to compile (or cross
compile) to the target architecture how much of a linux system would one
have to build to support gcc and proceed with phase two of the bootstrap
compilation of a full gnu-linux system.

Alien

minimal OS + minimal compiler

<more intermediate steps>

Final product.

((NB.  This is an academic question since in practice someone in this
predicament would find a friend with a working linux system.)

Of course, if you wanted to install HURD or NetBSD you could find yourself
in exactly this sort of situation -- even more so if you wanted to play with
some of the really exotic Free Operating Systems produced by the academic
research community.)