Mail trouble

Thomas Mondoshawan Tate plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 14:27:08 -0700

--ZPt4rx8FFjLCG7dd

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 12:18:42PM -0700, der.hans wrote:
> Am 01. Aug, 2001 schw=E4zte Thomas Mondoshawan Tate so:
>=20
> > Doesn't the SSH daemon provide external services for sftp (secure ftp)?
> > If it does, then you don't need to tunnel through SSH, AFAIK.
>=20
> Yes it does. There's also scp, which is generally what I use. I was just
> qualifying that not every tcp service can be tunnelled, not whether or not
> there was a better way :).
>=20
> For instance, a better way for secure pop from your provider is pop over
> ssl. While the ssh tunnel is likely to be more secure, pop over ssl doesn=
't
> require any client setup on the server side and servers and clients alrea=
dy
> have the capabilities builtin. The problem is that ISPs won't offer it.
> Stupid ISPs.

Hrm... Maybe not *stupid* per se... I've a feeling most ISPs would rather
support SSH and SSL on most of the services they provide, but if memory
serves, national law prevents them from doing so (I could be wrong about
this -- laws regarding cryptography, electronicially transferrable
information, and the internet seem to change incredibly quickly, and with
virtually no notice to voters or the public -- I don't remember the voters,
nor the general public being informed about the DMCA, do you?). The absolute
least thing an ISP would want is someone coming into their system using a
stolen user password, right?

> # Passwords are like underwear. You don't share them, you don't hang them=
 on
> # your monitor, or under your keyboard, you don't email them, or put them=
 on
> # a web site, and you must change them very often. -- Unknown

_LOVE_ this quote. =3Do)

-- Mondoshawan

--ZPt4rx8FFjLCG7dd

--ZPt4rx8FFjLCG7dd--