Pardon my soapbox (was: Re: [PLUG]Protest for Skylarov / DMCA)

John Starta plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 01 Aug 2001 12:54:43 -0700

At 12:20 PM 8/1/01 -0700, Kevin Buettner wrote:
>On Aug 1, 11:52am, Technomage wrote:
>
> > perhaps we need to (or one among us) needs to form another
> > organization specifically tailored for politics. I know
> > this may sound redundant, however, given recent legislation
> > it seems that our rights as consumers, programmers, etc is
> > being eroded about as fast as a hillside under a torrential
> > downpour!.
>
>I think it may be more useful to first look for existing organizations
>which are seeking the changes that you're after...

Such as:

-- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) <http://www.aclu.org>

-- Electronic Freedom Foundation (EFF) <http://www.eff.org>
Based on its focus on the international electronic space as opposed to ACLU
broad coverage of critical issues such as privacy, constitutional
quarantines and it's willingness to defend theses cases in the courts.

-- Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC) <http://www.epic.org>
Based on its focus on the issues of privacy in the electronic space.

-- Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR)
<http://www.cpsr.org>
Based on its willingness to take on critical societal issues such as the
"ABM" systems.

Note you just can not pick one. They are complementary and if one is
missing the whole desk of cards collapses. Contribute to each as much as
you can.

jas

---
If I make a copy it is fair use -- if I help you do it it is a felony.
Repeal the DMCA!