how to emulate border characters in unix?

Kevin Buettner plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 18:01:39 -0700

On Jul 31,  6:26pm, Furmanek, Greg wrote:

> I remember in windows there are these
> characters that emulate borders
>
>    +---+

To the best of my knowledge, there is no portable way to do it.

Depending upon the character set you're using, you may be able to
get characters with borders.

> How do I emulate that in curses? (UNIX)

The curses library doesn't really enter the picture.  The characters
that you want to use for drawing borders will either be there in the
character set or they won't be.  curses has no idea what character
set you're using.

If you're using the X window system, you may wish to play around
with ``xfontsel'' and look for a non-proportional font with the characters
that you want.  Once you have one that looks like it might work, use
``xfd'' to look at it.