Which Linux Distro?

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 14:16:44 -0500 (CDT)

> While these OSes are user friendly to me, I feel they may be a bit complex
> for a Linux newbie to install and would scare them away from Linux.
> What would you guys recommend for a Linux Distro that is easy to install and
> uses KDE or GNOME by default, and has a good variety of apps (email,
> browser, Word Proc, spreadsheet, etc).  Ease of Installation and Ease of Use

Red Hat is now in my opinion easier to install than Windows.  I hear good
things about Mandrake as well.  At this point I would think those two as
the front runners for newbie installs.

> are most important, since I will only be able to provide phone support (he
> lives in IN and I live in AZ).

I would suggest IRC or GAIM or some other instant messaging platform for
support than running up phone bills, also this would give him a network
(IRC) of other GNU\Linux users out there that are there to help when you
are not around.

Also, lookup LUG's in Indiana and see if there is one there and if they
have an email list he should subscribe.  This way if he has issues there
are locals that could help too.  I really believe the power of GNU\Linux
lies as much in the community as it does the operating system.  So getting
newbies accustom to peer support is a big part of the 'experience'.

Derek