dpkg question

William Karl plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 06:59:23 -0700

--Boundary_(ID_Dw5MmE+sKrVfkcNizXnHeA)

I'm just starting out with Debian and I have a question about its package
management system. There is a feature in gnome-apt that I use to search for
a given package on the server. It tells me what version is installed, what
version can be installed (latest), and some dependency info. Is there any
way that I can find this stuff out via dpkg? I only use gnome-apt to search
for packages, I use apt-get or dpkg to remove/install them. I'd like to cut
out the gnome-apt step (esp. over ssh from home).

Second question:
I'm trying to install Lynx on my machine. When I do an apt-get install lynx
it prompts me for the CD. Shouldn't it just get this package from the
server? Why is it asking for the CD. I have no CD entry in
/etc/apt/sources.list.

TIA, Kirt

--Boundary_(ID_Dw5MmE+sKrVfkcNizXnHeA)

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-15">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>dpkg question</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I'm just starting out with Debian and I have a =
question about its package management system. There is a feature in =
gnome-apt that I use to search for a given package on the server. It =
tells me what version is installed, what version can be installed =
(latest), and some dependency info. Is there any way that I can find =
this stuff out via dpkg? I only use gnome-apt to search for packages, I =
use apt-get or dpkg to remove/install them. I'd like to cut out the =
gnome-apt step (esp. over ssh from home).</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Second question: </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>I'm trying to install Lynx on my machine. When I do =
an apt-get install lynx it prompts me for the CD. Shouldn't it just get =
this package from the server? Why is it asking for the CD. I have no CD =
entry in /etc/apt/sources.list. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>TIA, Kirt </FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>=

--Boundary_(ID_Dw5MmE+sKrVfkcNizXnHeA)--