Configuring a Firewall to prefer certain traffic...

foodog plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 29 Apr 2001 23:14:59 -0700

It seems to be supported under 2.2.x and up.  In xconfig, under
'networking options' (kernel 2.2.19), the last entry is for "QoS and/or
fair queueing", QoS == Quality of Service, A.K.A. traffic shaping.

From the help tab:

CONFIG_NET_SCHED:

When the kernel has several packets to send out over the network
devices, it has to make a decision which one to send first. This is
especially important if some of the network devices are real time
devices that need a certain minimum data flow rate. There are
several different algorithms for how to do this "fairly"; they are
called packet schedulers. ...

According to some Redhat propaganda it's configured through IPCHAINS:

    7.37 Why do the new 2.1.x and 2.2.x kernels use IPCHAINS instead of
IPFWADM?

    IPCHAINS supports the following features that IPFWADM doesn't:

           "Quality of Service" (QoS support)
I'd suppose the (misguided) VOIP people would be a good source for
implementation details.

Steve