culture of *NIX

der.hans plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 29 Apr 2001 16:36:06 -0700 (MST)

Am 28. Apr, 2001 schwäzte Craig White so:

> I would really like to take an office completely into open source because I
> know it can be done, should be done in governmental offices, non-profits and
> any business that is starting up and doesn't have a major investment in

I agree and think it's quite possible. It does, however, take
training. Companies run into probs because they think Linux is 'free' and
don't want to train employees. Some of the same companies will send
secretaries to m$ whatever class every time a new version pops out...

> Microsoft specific application features - I think the major weakness here is
> 'presentation' software. Does anyone know of purely linux offices in the

You mean like Star Office, magicpoint, Impress or the others I just found
on freshmeat while looking for a program I'd seen, but never used and can
no longer remember the name of?

http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=presentation&filter=786

There's also DFBPoint, http://freshmeat.net/projects/dfbpoint/, that I see
uses the framebuffer.

I've used StarOffice before. It worked pretty good. Used magicpoint
recently. No front end, but I like the program. Being able to generate
every by hand and not wait for a GUI is most cool and far faster than
click and drool. Being able embed commands and X programs into slides is
also cool :).

> valley?

est, the bru dudes, moved to a Linux environment in 1996 ( or thereabouts
). They had macntoys for publishing, but I think that was recently moved
to another platform. Might not've been Linux.

They do devel and testing on multiple platforms because that's what they
support, but all day to day stuff is Linux. Tim Jones who was VP of
engineering there until recently said they never really had a problem with
new hires and Linux.

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.YourCompanyHere.net ;-)
#  Practice socially consious hedonism. Do whatever you want,