SMTP Server

Jay plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 29 Apr 2001 02:48:53 -0700 (MST)

Working on a Mandrake 7.2 box. This is a workstation -- and thus, the SMTP
daemon(s) on this box are NOT running. However, it seems feasible that I
should still be able to send mail from the command line on this machine
(using the "mail" command). However, when I try to do "mail -s subject
my@address.com" it throws me into the editor (as it should), I type my
message, finish with a "." on its own line, and then it returns me to my
shell. All that is perfectly normal and expected.

However, the message never arrives. Yet, when I startup sendmail||postfix
for a few minutes, then it sends out the previously written message.

So, it would seem that what I compose with the "mail" command is just
queued, waiting for me to startup a MTA.

Is there a way to get the "mail" command to send a 'single-serving'
message, or at least relay to another SMTP server. I don't want to have to
run a MTA on my workstation just for that.

On my old Slackware box the "mail" command works just dandy -- without a
local MTA running. I believe it is just firing up a 'single-serving'
instance of sendmail to shoot out the message.

Anybody have clue on how to relieve Mandrake 7.2 from this state of
brokenness? :)

--
~Jay