Guido i/view

Jiva DeVoe plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 01:48:43 -0700

On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 07:18:16PM -0700, der.hans wrote:
> moin, moin,
>
> most of you probably saw this on /..
>
> http://slashdot.org/interviews/01/04/20/1455252.shtml
>
> I want to point out "Conflict with GPL" and "Structured Design".
>
> For the most part I side with GPL in the Free Software vs. Open Source
> debate. Guido, however, points out one of the problems that's often
> attributed to rms. Apparently the rest of the FSF suffers from this
> problem as well :(.
>
> Now as to the legibility response. Yeah, I still see it as a cop out. If
> that's the only reason for being white space dependent, then drop that. It
> already gets blown when somone's emacs setup rips out perfectly good
> spaces and incorrectly autoreplaces them with tabs. Oh well, at least it
> doesn't require I replace my ) and ( keys every 3 weeks :).

That's the whole point.  By making indentation syntactically
important, it removes ANY debate on indentation.  You do it according
to the language, and if I'm not mistaken, python will not allow
variations from the standard tabbing. ;D

> Anybody know of a Free Software code beautifier? Something that lets me
> see code how I like it however it looks on disk and lets others bring it
> up in whatever heathen format they like? Maybe we could use this to add
> braces to Python during the coding :).

Yes, there are several actually, I can't think of their names off
hand.  But I bet if you searched for "beautifier" on freshmeat.  You'd
find one easily.

> I didn't realize there's a java implementation of Python. Now I know why
> Jiva love's Python so much ;-).

ACK!  THPPT! YUCK!