USB > 2.2.X Kernel

Shadow plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 22:54:56 -0700

> I have a little LinkSys 10M Phoneline USB adapter.   (Pretty cool idea for
> Windows!!)  Anyways,  I'm getting real sick of Microsoft, so I'm thinking
> about just deciating this machine to linux, but my only drawback is,  Will
> this support this device?  I heard the 2.4.x kernel is a little better with
> USB, but has anyone had any luck installing a USB function with Mandrake
> 7.2?

From linux-usb.org:

     > Kernel USB stack (aka Linus' Alternative USB stack) This stack
was
     > originally developed by Linus Torvalds as an alternative USB
stack for
     > Linux. Since his original announcement, many other people have
submitted
     > patches to fix various bugs and add support for other features
and was
     > first introduced into the main kernel tree with kernel v2.2.7.
     >
     > NOTE: USB development is now being done in the 2.4 kernel tree.
Much of
     > USB support has been backported and will be available starting
with
     > 2.2.18. It is listed a few lines below. USB-Storage is not
supported in
     > the 2.2 line of kernels.

I have been using USB on a 2.2.17 kernel with patches for more than 6
months.  The only thing that I've had problems with is an occasional
failure of the CPiA video driver.  (Less than 1 failure per month on a
24x7 machine.) Unloading and reloading the USB modules usually corrects
the problem.  The 2.2.18 and 2.2.19 kernel USB are much more stable and
easier to work with since the source has been backported from 2.4.

The choice of 2.2 or 2.4 for USB is mostly moot now.  Pick whichever
kernel suits your other needs or experience better.

--
Chris Lewis
Tesla Systems

The following code is a PERL script capable of decoding a CSS (Content
Scrambling System) encrypted DVD in real time.  This is illegal to
possess in the US according to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, a
set of laws passed by anonymous vote in congress in 1998.  The Motion
Picture Association of America (MPAA) is opposed to the distribution of
this software because it allows the owners of CSS encrypted DVDs to
exercise their long-standing fair use rights with new digital
technologies.  For more information, please visit:
http://www.opendvd.org/

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
# 526-byte qrpff, Keith Winstein and Marc Horowitz
<sipb-iap-dvd@mit.edu>
# MPEG 2 PS VOB file on stdin -> descrambled output on stdout
# arguments: title key bytes in least to most-significant order
$_='while(read+STDIN,$_,2048){$a=29;$c=142;if((@a=unx"C*",$_)[20]&48){$h=5;
$_=unxb24,join"",@b=map{xB8,unxb8,chr($_^$a[--$h+84])}@ARGV;s/...$/1$&/;$d=
unxV,xb25,$_;$b=73;$e=256|(ord$b[4])<<9|ord$b[3];$d=$d>>8^($f=($t=255)&($d
,$_=(map{$_%16or$t^=$c^=($m=(11,10,116,100,11,122,20,100)[$_/16%8])&110;$t
^=(72,@z=(64,72,$a^=12*($_%16-2?0:$m&17)),$b^=$_%64?12:0,@z)[$_%8]}(16..271))
[$_]^(($h>>=8)+=$f+(~$g&$t))for@a[128..$#a]}print+x"C*",@a}';s/x/pack+/g;eval