When is a case no longer a case? (was Re: scorpions vs dust bunnies

Alan Dayley plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 15:07:02 -0700

Yes, you can.

Cases are metal to prevent electronic emmissions from bothering other
equipment.  But, the main reason for the case is to protect the electronics
of your computer from outside damage.  Walk into any engineering lab and
you will find exposed computers all over the place.  I am writing this on a
computer with the cover off and cables spilling out on the anti-static mat
on the desk of my cubicle.  And it is right next to my test computer with
no cover.

The cover, in my opinion, provides several purposes:
- reduce interferance emmissions
- protect the computer components from damage/dirt
- protect the user from shock (safety)
- provide mounting surfaces for all the parts
- and, in some cases, specific airflow channels, and a few PCs have this
need but not usually

As long as you don't have kids to poke a paper clip in the board and you
don't care about emissions, hang it on the wall with a fan blowing accross
it.  In fact, that sounds kind of cool!

Alan