Stupid mouse tricks

foodog plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 23:36:06 -0700

I hate to break in during the perl jam, but I've got something that
works under Windows 95 that I don't know how to do with Linux :( <sniff>

I bought a MS optical Intellimouse to improve my QuakeIII
kiddie-blasting (it's quite nice, BTW).  It's on the PS/2 port.  I left
the Logitech cordless hooked up to COM1 and declined Windows kind offer
to "remove the previous driver".  Now both of them work under Windows,
which is nice.

I do all of my kiddie-blasting under Windows, but I'd like to be able to
grab whichever mouse is more appealing at a given moment, ya know?
(huh, you dont?).  Can anyone tell me how to make it go, or verify it's
a no-can-do thing?

FWIW, I'm using KDE 1.1.2 under XFree86 3.3.6-20

The section of XF86Config for the Logitech looks like this:

    Protocol	"Microsoft"
    Device	"/dev/mouse"
    ZAxisMapping 4 5

The optical uses

    Protocol	"IMPS/2"

I tried:
    Protocol	"Microsoft"
    Protocol	"IMPS/2"
    Device	"/dev/mouse"
    ZAxisMapping 4 5

That resulted in neither mouse working under X.

/dev/mouse is a link to /dev/ttys0, so I went to /dev and did "ln -s
ttys1 /dev/mouse1" and changed the pointer section to look like this:

    Protocol	"Microsoft"
    Device	"/dev/mouse"
    ZAxisMapping 4 5

    Protocol	"IMPS/2"
    Device	"/dev/mouse1"
    ZAxisMapping 4 5

X won't even start with that one.  Any suggestions?
Steve

P.S. Tuesday, 7pm, GCC:  Westside PLUG.