Alternatives to Frys?

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 22:45:59 -0700

-----
I do recommend this product to people for home use but that wasn't the
point.

This is a linux exchange - what better advocacy can we make than to suggest
that by setting up your own router, you will gain invaluable knowledge about
routing and linux by rolling your own instead of doing the easy
thing...buying a NON-open source box.

As for your box...
- noisy? buy better parts.
- big? I would love to find a cheap small box/motherboard combo with 2
integrated NIC's.
- slow? don't do the mandrake 1400 package install.
  Forget X and all the other unnecessary trash. It is possible to make a
  system bootable with just a floppy disk.

Moreover, you can learn how to configure sendmail, apache and other
daemons - the experience thing...it's valuable.

As for the LinkSys, there have been some rather buggy releases which I guess
that they have provided firmware updates to fix most of these issues but
they are apparently still haunted by DHCP bugs.