Installing RH 7.1 from CD

foodog plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 11:57:06 -0700

On my home machine I wasn't able to boot from the CD (due to some goofy
BIOS fluke).  I made a boot disk with \IMAGES\BOOT.IMG and didn't have
big problems.

It had some trouble detecting my mouse unless I was jiggling it around
while anaconda was looking for it - I'm using a Logitech wireless kb &
mouse.  The first time it couldn't find the mouse it wanted to do a
non-graphical install.  I did a ctrl+alt+del, jiggled the mouse at the
appropriate time and it was happy.

I tried to select a Logitech mouse on the second boot and doomed that
run (mouse cursor frozen at the bottom of the screen until reboot).  The
third time through I mouse-jiggled, clicked buttons and used the
wheel... It didn't see the mouse, non graphical.  On the 4th try
everything finally cooperated and the rest of the install went fine - I
was kinda bummed I couldn't have it install ReiserFS but there's a boot
image downloadable that supports it - I may try that later on today if
my "undisturbed computer time" holds out :-) :-)

One very minor annoyance.  It has an entry for 'Logitech iTouch'
keyboard, but still doesn't seem to know about 'cordless wheel mouse'.
I used 'generic 3-button'.

FWIW, I booted from the ISO CD on a box at work and everything ran
flawlessly.  Maybe Redhat's trying to emulate the famous Microsoft
Code-that-executes-differently-every-time technology?

Steve