Guido i/view

plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 21 Apr 2001 11:16:01 -0700

So, what was your preferred indentation style back then?
Do you still prefer your old style but you're being
"encouraged" to use a style you don't like, or have
you switched styles?  And of course, "why?"  :)

> A related matter is defining (or agreeing upon) how many spaces a tab
> expands to.  Of course, the right answer is eight ;-), but, depending

Actually, the right answer is "it doesn't matter."
The big "BUT" is that you should ONLY use TABs for
LOGICAL indentation.  In other words, when you're
at the beginning of a line and hitting the <TAB>
key, the first time that you press ANY key other
than the <TAB> key (OK, maybe the <SHIFT> key is
an exception :) ), you may NEVER use the <TAB>
key again on the current line, you MUST use the
spacebar.

For example:

wrong:
<TAB><TAB>printf("stuff\n");<TAB><TAB><TAB>/* this prints stuff */

right:
<TAB><TAB>printf("stuff\n");               /* this prints stuff */

Try entering lines like these in your favorite
editor (well, at least an editor that supports
TABs), then try changing the tab spacing.  If
you only use TABs at the beginning of the line,
the tab spacing doesn't matter.  The first line
requires you to use the same tab spacing as the
original author so things don't look messed up.

Mi Dos Pesos,