ipmasqadm portfw ..doesn't quite work right

Steven M. Klass plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 08:38:04 -0700

Hey all,
	Ok, I have a problem.  My objective is to forward my firewall port 26 (not
used) to an internal port 22 (ssh).  My problem is that it didn't work.  Here
is basically what I did..
# ipmasqadm portfw -a -P tcp -L xyz.xyz.xyz.xyz 26 -R 192.168.1.100 22
# ipmasqadm portfw -l
prot localaddr            rediraddr               lport    rport  pcnt  pref
TCP  xyz.xyz.xyz.xyz      myrtle.pointcircle.com       26      ssh    10    10

Now I was confused at why it didn't work so I tried something else...
# ipmasqadm portfw -f
# ipmasqadm portfw -a -P tcp -L  xyz.xyz.xyz.xyz 22 -R 192.168.1.100 22

This worked.  I was able to ssh into my internal server just fine.  But this
is not what I wanted.  I want to actually port fwd vs straight forwarding.
In the future this is not for ssh but something else, I know how to handle
native ssh forwarding ssh -L -R..

So I have some questions.
- Did I implement ipmasqadm portfw correctly?
- Does the machine on 192.168.1.100 have to be configured in any particular
way to handle this?
- Should I have also forwarded udp ports?  Why did it work in case 2?
- Do I need to set up some sort of ssh identification line in /etc/services
for port 26?

Can someone who is actively doing this help me out?  Just in case your
wondering I am using Linux 2.2.17.

Thanks
--

Steven M. Klass