ProFTPd

David Anderson plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:12:27 -0700 (MST)

See

http://www.proftpd.net

http://www.proftpd.net/docs/

http://pdd.sourceforge.net/faq/proftpdfaq.html

I used the CVS ( current version system ) their last stable version I got
in Aug., had a bug which did not allow anonymous login in stand-alone
I would guess it's been fixed now, see the bugs page.

It's configured like apache, VIA /etc/proftp.conf
Their site has some examples, like
Basic
Anonymous
Virtual hosts
Complex Virtual

and you can get stats with Webalizer and ftpweblog

you can hide dirs on your root dir
  # Hide bin etc lib from anonymous
  <Directory bin>
        HideGroup root
  </Directory>

  <Directory etc>
        HideGroup root
  </Directory>

  <Directory lib>
        HideGroup root
  </Directory>

plus limit write, then allow where you want to

  # Limit WRITE everywhere in the anonymous chroot except incoming
  <Directory *>

        <Limit WRITE>
        DenyAll
        </Limit>

  </Directory>

For paranoid customers who don't want others to get their files

  # Grant WRITE (with STOR) Limit Read (with READ) in incoming
  <Directory incoming>

        <Limit READ>
         DenyAll
        </Limit>

        <Limit STOR>
        AllowAll
        </Limit>

  </Directory>

I started using proftpd in Mar 99 after wuftpd was hacked into
VIA script kiddies
the people on this list, Brian Cluff as I remember,
helped me see what was happening to the system