PLUG Devel Meetings

der.hans plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 11:14:52 -0700 (MST)

Am 17. Apr, 2001 schwäzte Deepak Saxena so:

> On Apr 10 2001, at 23:00, der.hans was caught saying:
> > some place closer to the geographic center of town than the rest of our
> > current activities. That makes it harder for a couple of guys way out in
> > Fountain Hills and such, but enables those over by Blythe to make it to
> > the meeting on the same day they departed for it :).
> >
> > I've added a few things to the list I posted before:
> >
> > 1st Tue  - First Tuesday      - non-tech
> > 1st Wed  - Phx Wireless UG    - semi-tech
> > 2nd Tue  - Perl Mongers       - tech
> > 2nd Thu  - PLUG Eastside      - tech ( Linux )
> > 2nd Thu  - SAGE               - tech ( *NIX )
> > 3rd Tue  - Linux Stammtisch   - tech ( Linux )
> > 3rd Tue  - Perl Mongers?      - tech
> > 3rd Wed  - ASULUG             - tech ( Linux )
> > 3rd Wed  - Phx Java UG        - semi-tech
> > 4th Mon  - AZIPA              - non-tech
> > 4th Tue  - PLUG Westside      - tech ( Linux )
> > 4th Tue  - AZPHP              - tech
>
> Good God!  ummm..2nd or 4th wed?  I personally don't like the sat

Big city. Lots of stuff to do.

If we go for something in the first week of the month we should meet even
months to avoid things like New Years and 4th of July. The beginning of
Dec will sometimes have a conflict with Hannukah, but that floats around
in reference to the calendar we're using.

If we go 4th week we're kinda screwed either way due to Turkey Day and
Xmas. Hannukah comes up here again. I'd suggest odd months for 4th week
meetings because the end of Dec is so hectic for many, many reasons.

> idea.  I'll be honest and admit that most weekends I avoid computer
> related thougths (blasphemy!) and would much rather keep it that way.
> Also, 1st, 2nd, 3rd monday are all available.  No fridays either if
> possible. 3rd thurstday too. I'm thinking week 1 would be good as

Fridays are a bad idea, I believe.

> PLUG already has happenings the other weeks.
>
> > 1st Thu  - South Mtn UG
>
> Umm..is is this a hiking club?

South Mountain Users Group. I think they're a decent sized PC group. I
think this is the group Jiva talked at during the time of the Linux Demo
Days. I think they're decent sized and had people interested in
Linux. Probably doesn't matter for the devel group, but does for the main
meetings as well as the "Intro to Linux" meeting.

> > 2nd Mon  - VB SIG
>
> Ick.  Making an assumption, but most of the people doing this would
> probably be interested in either PERL, Python, or maybe php if they
> are considering Linux.  Perl and PHP already have UGs, and I'm sure
> Jiva will start a python/Zope group someday. ;) So 2nd monday is still
> OK IMHO.

Well considering we have multiple people on the list who earn their living
doing VB ( I wonder how they sleep at night ;-) it would seem a conflict.

> > 2nd Sat  - Programmer SIG
>
> Me no do sat.  Anyone know anything about this group?

Never heard about it before.

> > 3rd Thu  - AZ Mac UG (AMUG)
>
> deepak may attend this once.  I still say Apple is the ONLY company in
> the world that knows how to make a GUI.
>
> > 4th Tue  - Windows SIG
> > 4th Wed  - Windows NT SIG
>

> > If we go for a weeknight I suggest opening doors at 18:30 and starting the
> > meeting at 19:30. That allows people to travel after the main push of rush
> > hour is over, but still allows those who want to escape whatever early to
> > head straight over :).
>
> Agreed.  And at most 10 minutes of announcements before the main topic.

Devel group shouldn't really get any announcements. I do want to suggest
that once or twice a year we do the intro thing, though. At least up until
we've got 40 or 50 bodies every month.

Something else is that we could plan 10 minute topics. Maybe something
about syntax highlighting or command line editing or simple compiler
tricks. Those could go at 19:00 such that those arriving at 18:30 don't
have to try to be social for an entire hour ;-).

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.YourCompanyHere.net ;-)
#  kill telnet, long live ssh - der.hans