KDE 2.1 on Debian (Progeny actually)

William Karl plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 07:33:59 -0700

--Boundary_(ID_/AC+X5rL19oUfmYewjIOOg)

> FYI, I'd like some input on this, I tried installing Progeny last
> night and was fairly disappointed.  Aside from the install being
> fairly unfriendly, I find it's admin tools to be fairly poor.  My
> previous experience with Debian is that it was slow and hard to use.
> I was hoping progeny would be different.  (I heard it's Pentium
> optimized, is that true?)

> Dselect's user interface leaves ALOT to be desired.  The urpmi tool is
> ALOT easier to use IMO.  At this point, I'm strongly leaning towards
> sticking with Mandrake.

I have had similar experiences with Debian. It was a tuff install and took a
lot of time and bother.  I was fairly impressed with Progeny though.

Why do you think that the install was unfriendly? In my experience, the
install when smoothly, detected all of my hardware, and answered my
questions with "help" screens when I needed further clarification.

What sort of administrative tools are you looking for? I'm still a newbie
when it comes to apt-get and dpkg, but the more I learn about them the more
impressed I am (esp. using it to upgrade kernels). It was nice to be able to
change 2 lines in a config file issue "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade"
and have my whole system upgraded from release candidate 2 to Progeny 1.0.

I do have a couple of bugs with printing to iron out (I HATE printing). But
other than that I've found that Progeny Debian has worked well.

I've had about the same luck with Mandrake. It had a nice install but still
had a few bugs. I've come to both of these distributions from Slackware. All
of them have things to recommend them. All depends what you want out of
them. Slackware taught me a lot. Progeny and Mandrake have ease of install
so I can get around to work. I personally don't want tuff installs any more.
I've done it too many times to count now. I just want it to work. Progeny
and Mandrake both seem to do that pretty well (FreeBSD was also pretty
nice).

Provided Progeny doesn't fold the way Storm did. I think I'll just stick
with it, learn its tools and be happy when I sit down at a Debian system and
know a few things. ;^)

Cheers, Kirt

k.karl@asu.edu

--Boundary_(ID_/AC+X5rL19oUfmYewjIOOg)

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3DUS-ASCII">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>RE: KDE 2.1 on Debian (Progeny actually)</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; FYI, I'd like some input on this, I tried =
installing Progeny last</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; night and was fairly disappointed.&nbsp; Aside =
from the install being</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; fairly unfriendly, I find it's admin tools to =
be fairly poor.&nbsp; My</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; previous experience with Debian is that it was =
slow and hard to use.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; I was hoping progeny would be different.&nbsp; =
(I heard it's Pentium</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; optimized, is that true?)</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Dselect's user interface leaves ALOT to be =
desired.&nbsp; The urpmi tool is </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; ALOT easier to use IMO.&nbsp; At this point, =
I'm strongly leaning towards</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; sticking with Mandrake. </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I have had similar experiences with Debian. It was a =
tuff install and took a lot of time and bother.&nbsp; I was fairly =
impressed with Progeny though. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Why do you think that the install was unfriendly? In =
my experience, the install when smoothly, detected all of my hardware, =
and answered my questions with &quot;help&quot; screens when I needed =
further clarification. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>What sort of administrative tools are you looking =
for? I'm still a newbie when it comes to apt-get and dpkg, but the more =
I learn about them the more impressed I am (esp. using it to upgrade =
kernels). It was nice to be able to change 2 lines in a config file =
issue &quot;apt-get update&quot; and &quot;apt-get upgrade&quot; and =
have my whole system upgraded from release candidate 2 to Progeny 1.0. =
</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I do have a couple of bugs with printing to iron out =
(I HATE printing). But other than that I've found that Progeny Debian =
has worked well. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I've had about the same luck with Mandrake. It had a =
nice install but still had a few bugs. I've come to both of these =
distributions from Slackware. All of them have things to recommend =
them. All depends what you want out of them. Slackware taught me a lot. =
Progeny and Mandrake have ease of install so I can get around to work. =
I personally don't want tuff installs any more. I've done it too many =
times to count now. I just want it to work. Progeny and Mandrake both =
seem to do that pretty well (FreeBSD was also pretty nice). </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Provided Progeny doesn't fold the way Storm did. I =
think I'll just stick with it, learn its tools and be happy when I sit =
down at a Debian system and know a few things. ;^) </FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Cheers, Kirt</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>k.karl@asu.edu</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>=

--Boundary_(ID_/AC+X5rL19oUfmYewjIOOg)--