Zip drive issue

Don Livingston plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 16:44:01 -0700

> Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:54:25 -0700
> From: William Karl <k.karl@asu.edu>
> Subject: RE: Zip drive issue
>
> It's just an IDE CD-ROM. I know that for some
> CD-RWs, you need to load SCSI
> modules of some sort. This is just a straight up
> CD drive. Can't figure out
> why it seems to be loaded on a SCSI bus. The CD
> works though.

My guess is that the kernel was compiled with SCSI emulation
turned on.  In Mandrake 7.1 in order to get CD-RWs to work,
you had to recompile with that emulation.  My guess is that
they did that so software written to work with SCSI CD-RWs
would work with IDE interfaces.  Actually I half expected
the next version of Mandrake to just automatically choose
that approach so that CD-RWs would work, now that they are
so common.  Perhaps that is the case with your installation?

All the best, Don.