Since the list is up now, here is one more sendmail question

Sundar Narayanasamy plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:54:21 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Craig,

In /etc/mail/access

I had only
127.      RELAY
So, I added
192.168.0.    RELAY
charlie.esaravana.com OK
(The machine from which I am trying to send my mail)

I still get the following error in my netscape client
An error occurred while sending mail.
The mail server responded:
501 5.1.8 <sundar@eSaravana.com>.. Domain of sender address
sundar@esaravanana.com exist.
Please verify that your email address is correct in your mail preferences
and try again.

On my mail server log I get the following:

Apr 12 10:48:49 snoopy sendmail[1078]: f3CHmnp01078: ruleset=check_mail,
arg1=<sundar@esaravana.com>, relay=charlie.esaravana.com [192.168.0.2],
reject=501 5.1.8 <sundar@esaravana.com>... Domain of sender address
sundar@esaravana.com does not exist
Apr 12 10:48:49 snoopy sendmail[1078]: f3CHmnp01078:
from=<sundar@esaravana.com>, size=0, class=0, nrcpts=0, proto=ESMTP,
daemon=MTA, relay=charlie.esaravana.com [192.168.0.2]

Sundar

> Hello,
>
> I finally managed to configure my mail server at home on my gateway with
> sendmail/qpopper. I am able to receive my mail from default
> root(root@snoopy) account to any of my other local accounts(e.g
> Sundar@eSaravana.com). But when I try to send mail from any of my local
> accounts(Sundar@eSaravana.com), I get following error message
>
> Sending failed:
> a SMTP error occurred.
> Command: MAIL.
> Response: 501 5.1.8 <sundar@eSaravana.com>.. Domain of sender address
> sundar@esaravana.com exist.
>

> My local DNS server runs on another machine and the domain is
> --esaravana.com
>
> And my sendmail configuration is as follows
> snoopy:~ # sendmail -d0.1
> Version 8.11.2
> Compiled with: LDAPMAP MAP_REGEX LOG MATCHGECOS MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7
>                NAMED_BIND NETINET NETINET6 NETUNIX NEWDB NIS
> NISPLUS QUEUE
>                SCANF SMTP TCPWRAPPERS USERDB
>
> ============ SYSTEM IDENTITY (after readcf) ============
>      (short domain name) $w = snoopy
>  (canonical domain name) $j = snoopy.esaravana.com
>         (subdomain name) $m = esaravana.com
>              (node name) $k = snoopy
>
> Recipient names must be specified
>

> Help!
>
> Sundar

-----
You need to allow 'relay' - typically sendmail would store this in

/etc/mail/access

and an entry would be like...

192.168.1.		RELAY

to allow users on the local subnet of 192.168.1.0/24 to relay mail.

This presupposes that you have a hash or db/dbm directive in your sendmail
configuration that check for this. Check out <http://www.sendmail.org>

Craig

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/