PLUG Presents

Deepak Saxena plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 10:39:26 -0700

I actually looked at it the first time posted but have been percolating
it in my head for a while.  I think this is something we should definetely
do.  Here are a couple of suggestions/questions/action items in completely
random order as I pull them out of my head.

1) Is this going to be a conference only or conference/exhibit thing?
   You mention a PLUG booth, so I have this image of an exhibit floor.
   I suggest that this be a conference only type thing.

1a) WE DO NOT WANT RICHARD STALLMAN

2) Get ASULug involved.  Young, motivated people, good exposure for them,
   etc, etc.

2a) WE DO NOT WANT RICHARD STALLMAN

3) Is this a local only event or is this something we want to open up
   to the outside world to? But keep it limited. Something like Ottawa
   Linux Symposium, which only allows like 1000 people. If we're trying
   to get exhibitors, it will be much more compeling for them to come
   here if there are lots of people showing up.  But..one of the reasons
   I think exhibitors might be an issue is that ALS is just after this
   and LinuxWorld is just before this, so people might not be willing to
   spend cycles on a new event that hasn't proven itself.

3a) WE DO NOT WANT RICHARD STALLMAN

4) Can people register only for one day or do they register for both days?

4a) WE DO NOT WANT RICHARD STALLMAN

5) I propose shortening the time slots for speakers and making them 1:15
   hour only. 1 hour talk, 15 minutes q/a.  From my experience at conferences
   and from talking to "presentation consultants", people start loosing
   interest after the first 45 minutes unless it's really really lively.
   Here's a slightly modified schedule.  I've also proposing a break between
   each session, so that people can mingle, grab drinks, bathroom, etc, etc.

    07:30 - 08:30 Registration
    08:30 - 09:00 Welcome/Breakfast(?)
    09:00 - 10:30 Opening keynote (Alan Cox? :)
    10:45 - 12:00 Session 1
    12:00 - 13:15 Lunch
    13:30 - 14:45 Session 2
    15:00 - 04:15 Session 3
    16:30 - ??:?? BOFs
                  - Put out a call for BOFs on the web site
                  - Ending time depends on each BOF and when the site(bar :)
                    closes
   Day2

    08:00 - 08:30 Registration
    08:30 - 09:00 Welcome/recap
    09:00 - 10:30 Session 4
    10:45 - 12:00 Session 5
    12:00 - 13:15 Lunch
    13:30 - 14:45 Session 6
    15:00 - 17:00 Panel Q/A
    17:00 - ??:?? BOFs

   Something else to think of is whether we want a technical and a
   business track. The keynote would be first, and than during each
   following speaker time slot we'd have two parallel presentations, and
   than the Q/A session with everyone involved.

5a) WE DO NOT WANT RICHARD STALLMAN

6) What's a good site in town?  We don't have a convention center
   yet AFAIK.

6a) WE DO NOT WANT RICHARD STALLMAN

7) Another position is web site/machine admin.  Someone to run the
   machine that will host the web site plus setup the registration
   forms, etc, etc.

7a) WE DO NOT WANT RICHARD STALLMAN

8) Other possible speakers:

   Larry Augustine
   Ted T'so
   Linus (I can dream can't I?)
   Bob Young
   Bruce Perens
   Miguel Icaza(sp)
   Someone from MV :)
   NOT Richard Stallman

Action Items.

The following are things that IMHO we need to get done in the next two
to three weeks(end of month) if we're going to get this thing going:

- Checking account (do we need non-profit status??)
- Physical meeting of all volunteers to organize things
  (This thursday during/before/after regular meeting)
- Start getting volunteers (someone ping ASULUG)
  o Once volunteers are setup, we should have weekly IRC meetings
    and meet physically at least once a month, probably more often
    as we get closer.
- Register domain (linuxat10.org??) plus get a dedicated machine
  with a mailing list for announcemnts to the world and get the
  web site setup.

~Deepak

ps: My Stallman rants come from having seen the man speak several
    times.  All he does is rant about GNU this and GNU that and
    "we're not OpenSource, we're free" blah blah blah. The man
    received a $25K community award at LinuxWorld and proceeded
    to get on stage and do nothing but bitch about how it should be
    GNU/Linux.

On Apr 08 2001, at 08:55, Jim was caught saying: