PHP and the web

Kevin Brown plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 09 Apr 2001 23:08:57 -0700

> 1. AZ-PHP probably got 2 new members this month. I actually can read from
> and write to a MySQL db with it...now I shudder to try to ancticipate the
> security implications of it all. I will warn all interested - DO NOT BUY the
> book PHP 4 Bible - it is probably the worst language / tech book I have ever
> bought.

PHP Essentials was a nice book for me.  The author seems very competent in the
subject and runs the http://www.thickbook.com site that published it.  You can
download all the php used in her two books from the site and also get links to
other resources and tutorials.  Definitely a recommended read for newcomers and
those who have some, but not a lot of experience with programming in general and
php in specific.

> 2. If it weren't for Microsoft, there wouldn't be as much impetus in the
> open source world as we would probably be complacent.

and computers might not be as cheap as they are.  A friend at work has an
advertisement hanging in the cube above his monitor that shows a system from the
mid-80's going for over $4000.  Just 'cause we don't totally like the OS doesn't
make it completely a bad thing.  Most people just want a computer for very
simple things, email, browsing and word processor.  Those of us here definitely
are in the true minority of all computer users.

> 3. The nicest thing that Microsoft IIS does is not log security
> transgressions so if you've been hacked, it's nice not to know it...the ol'
> ignorance is bliss thing.
>
> 4. (and I will quit here) - Can you imagine the cross your fingers and pray
> attitude of these virual hosting companies offering IIS, VBA, Access &/or
> SQL for under $50 per month (likewise Apache/Perl/MySQL etc.)?
>
> Oh and say a prayer for Willie Stargel. Led the NL in HR's & RBI's for 5
> straight years. We are family.

I can only guess that he is some baseball player.  I don't follow sports as
well..., I'll leave off this rant that I have.