FTP "OTHER Root" Logs

der.hans plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 8 Apr 2001 12:06:00 -0700 (MST)

Am 08. Apr, 2001 schwäzte Craig White so:

> Type "last" at the command prompt to get a list of successful logins. Type
> "lastb" to get a list of unsuccessful logins. If lastb fails, then 'touch
> /var/log/btmp' and it will start recording unsuccessful logins.

Cool deal. Never heard of btmp.

I note that wtmp on my debian boxen is owned root:utmp and has 664 perms.

chown root:utmp /var/log/btmp
chmod 644 /var/log/btmp

Don't know if that's what btmp should have. The last/lastb manpage doesn't
explicitly say. Turned in a bug report asking them to add that info to the
manpage :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.YourCompanyHere.net ;-)
#  Science is magic explained. - der.hans