Ricochet wireless modem

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 12:15:58 -0700 (MST)

Am 05. Apr, 2001 schwäzte Charlie Bullen so:

> Good Morning. I just recently got a wireless ricochet modem. It
> connects at about 140k and as there is no other broadband available
> where live its much better than a 56k modem. I need it for a work
> related project that requires me to use an other OS.
>
> I am running Suse 7.1 as my prefered OS but havent gotten in to work
> yet. I can use either the usb port or the serial port. Before I put a
> lot of time into this, does anyone know if it is theoretically
> possible to use this and if so how

I'm using one to reply to your email :). Checking myh mail headers will
confirm for you that as always I'm using Linux :).

I'm running debian, not SuSE, so you might have a different setup.

Man page for pppconfig lead me to pon, poff and plog. pppconfig did the
config.

I had to remove entries to ABORT on 'NO CARRIER', 'NO DIALTONE' and 'NO
DIAL TONE' from the chat script stored in /etc/chatscripts/ as the
ricochet modem doesn't provide a dialtone.

I'm using the serial connection as /dev/ttyS0.

I'll play with the usb connecion at some point.

You can get a static IP from wwc for another $10/mo. Hefty, but I need it
:(.

If you don't need the static IP Kimi Adams ( who frequents our list
:) also provides ricochet services.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.YourCompanyHere.net ;-)
#  Keine Ahnung, was ich dir sagen soll,