Ipchains forwarding not working

David Demland ddemland@cadtel.com
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 09:57:25 -0700

I have the following rules in my firewall script. The first rule executes
like expected. The forward rule does not execute. My question is why? If the
first rule is executed this will allow the processing of the forward rule
chain but there is no log entry for the rule being executed.

The AppServerIP is an external IP address. The DBServerIP is an internal
Class C address of 192.168.1.241.

$IPCHAINS -l -A input -j ACCEPT -i $OUTERIF -p TCP -s $AppServerIP
$IPCHAINS -l -A forward -j ACCEPT -i $OUTERIF -p TCP -s $AppServerIP -d
$DBServerIP
$IPCHAINS -l -A output -j ACCEPT -i $INTERNALIF -p TCP -s $AppServerIP

My understanding is that with the first rule doing an ACCEPT we fall out of
the input chain and go to the forward chain processing which should then
execute the forwarding. After this the output chain will be executed. Have I
missed something?

Does anyone have an idea?

Thank You,

David Demland