hdparm and SCSI

Jason jkenner@mindspring.com
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 16:10:48 -0700

"der.hans" wrote:
A word of caution about hdparm...

(if you've substantially upgraded your system by hand?) DONT USE YE
OLDE HDPARM for ANYTHING other than, say, setting spin-down time.
Version 2.9 from May 22, 1996 managed to complete eat a filesystem of
mine, even though I had it mounted read-only while I was using some of
the more esoteric options. When they mean "dangerous", they do mean
dangerous!

I only mention this since if you are trying the program out on SCSI
drives, it probably means your fairly curious about what it can do.

TIP: run
hdparm -i /dev/[drive]
after changing anything. If the letters in the drives identifier come
up jumbled, and you ARENT mounted read-only, just power your system
off RIGHT AWAY. DO NOT UMOUNT, as this basically will ensure that
Linux nicely wipes out everything that ever once was... I figured this
one out playing around with a dummy drive I had set up to learn what I
could get away with using hdparm.

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|