IP Masquerading question

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 16:21:09 -0700

In that case, either the IP-Masquerade-HOWTO or the IPCHAINS-HOWTO
should tell you what you need.  See either

  http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO.html

or

  http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/IPCHAINS-HOWTO.html

Basically the IP Masquerading mechanism works by mapping an address
and port number from your internal network to the (single) external
firewall address and (a different) port number.  Thus all traffic from
your internal network appears to be coming from a single IP address.
The kernel on your firewall is responsible for keeping track of these
mappings and knows where to send the return packets.  (Note that some
rewriting of the packet headers is required.)

Note that this mechanism will only work for relatively small internal
networks.  (Up to perhaps several hundred machines.) If you have too
many connections to the outside simultaneously, the firewall will run
out of port numbers to use.

Hope this helps.

Kevin