X server and resolution

Jason jkenner@mindspring.com
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 12:51:33 -0700

john w wrote:
>  I am running Debian 2.2 and have a diamond stealthe 2000 pro 3D with
> 2MB ram on the card. I use the S3 Virge accelerated server. No clock
> settings are detected. Iam not able to find an 800x600 rtesolution that
> is functional with my hardware.
> I input the sync rates manually as their is no match for my monitor.
> I am not a gamer and was curious if using an svga server as opposed to
> the accelerated server would maybe accomplish an 800x600 resolution. Not
> that one could game on my vid card anyway. The same has been true in
> RH6.2 and Mandrake 7.1 using the same configuration. Help greatly
> appreciated!

I have a lot of experience tweaking /etc/XF86Config manually. With
XFree, you can have literally ANY resolution you want, within
reasonable limits. I am also using the S3V server at the moment,
albeit with an S3V card. The main drawback to odd resolutions is that
in some cases, acceleration must be disabled as the card must use the
next largest size for accelerator functions.

Learning to write your own Modelines is a pain in the butt, but its
worth it, because it means you'll always be able to get the maximum
your card and monitor can offer you as a pair.

What happens when you try to get a 800x600 resolution to work? Loss of
sync (monitor cant keep up), X doesnt allow it (settings arent
present) or nothing but black (X tries, but video card cant support
that speed of dotclock?)??

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|