Resource Help

J.L.Francois jlf@magusnet.gilbert.az.us
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 07:19:43 -0700

another nice feature of dpkg is:

--get-selections
--set-selections

When I back up my Debian boxes I only do the data and config files
I really need to save space on tape.

At backup time I create a list of installed apps:
dpkg --get-selections > APPS_FROM_OLD_MACHINE

So for recovery I can take a brand new machine and after
doing a base install do:
dpkg --set-selections < APPS_FROM_OLD_MACHINE

complete with an:
apt-get dselect-upgrade

and know that it will be running everything I had before.

Then I can lay the backup tar on top of it to get my configs back.

NOTE: This is easier typed than done and it took me a few weeks
      to get it right. Do not try this at home without adult
      supervision.

JLF Sends...

It seems like on Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 12:23:23AM -0700, plug@arcticmail.com scribbled:
Orig Msg> I never use dselect any more.  Typical usage of apt:
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> apt-get update          # Update the local package index
Orig Msg> apt-cache search game   # Search the local package index for
Orig Msg>                         # the word "game"
Orig Msg> apt-cache show freeciv  # Display details about the "freeciv" package
Orig Msg> apt-get install freeciv # Download and install the "freeciv" package
Orig Msg>                         # and any packages upon which "freeciv" depends
Orig Msg> apt-get dist-upgrade    # Download and upgrade every currently installed
Orig Msg>                         # package to the latest version
Orig Msg> apt-get remove freeciv  # Uninstall the "freeciv" package
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> I do some things with "dpkg":
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> dpkg --list               # List all installed packages
Orig Msg> dpkg --listfiles freeciv  # List all of the files that belong to the
Orig Msg>                           # "freeciv" package
Orig Msg> dpkg --search /bin/ls     # Display the package that owns /bin/ls
Orig Msg> dpkg --install foo.deb    # Install a .deb that you stumbled across
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> Once you're comfortable with "potato", you can live on
Orig Msg> the edge.  Back up your system, alter /etc/apt/sources.list
Orig Msg> to use "woody" instead of "potato" and simply do
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> apt-get update
Orig Msg> apt-get dist-upgrade
Orig Msg>
Orig Msg> and your system will now have the latest that woody
Orig Msg> has to offer.  I've been running woody (and doing
Orig Msg> update/dist-upgrade about once a week) for some time
Orig Msg> now, and haven't had any problems.