dist evals[1]

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 13:23:20 -0700 (MST)

Am 27. Sep, 2000 schwäzte Rod Roark so:

> If you're going to talk about relative merits of distributions and
> their vendors, it also seems relevant to talk about the realistic
> *alternative* to using a distribution.  I.e., installing Linux from
> scratch, as described at http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/.

Great point. My oversight. Especially since I'm also familiar with
lfs. The LRP or other specific use projects might also be appropriate.

The lfs project is definitely something we should cover.

> My point is, one shouldn't ask the question "which distribution should
> I use?" until they have considered the question "should I use a
> distribution?".
>
> Yes I have a personal interest in this as the originator and maintainer
> of LFSMake (http://lfsmake.org/), which to a large degree automates LFS
> installation.  So I may be a bit too close to the topic and it's fine
> with me if someone else wants to cover it.  I just think it should be
> mentioned.

No prob. I've no prob with you covering it ( unless your not covering it
got a lurker I know of to show up so he can ;-).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com
# Motorraeder toeten nicht. Motorraeder werden getoetet.