ARTICLE: Red Hat launching Linux subscription services network

Jason jkenner@mindspring.com
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 22:23:57 -0700

Rod Roark wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Lucas Vogel wrote:
> > http://www.idg.net/go.cgi?id=327308
> > I don't know about you guys, but I think Red Hat deserves credit for their
> > work. I think it's a great idea.
> Umm... they're going to give me a "managed stream of innovation"?
> Dunno what that means, don't think I want to.

Basically, it means they will be the ones deciding that its critical
that you get that latest patch to wu ftp, but that you may not
necessarily need that ultra-cool patch to sasteroids. Its doubtful
many in a *LUG would need such services, but to those who do not
understand the innards of the linux OS (or want to) such a service
might in fact be critical, be it a small business that cannot afford
(and doesnt need) their own sysadmin, or just a family that is sick
and tired of getting micro$hafted up the rear... A constant stream of
updates is even more important in a work of software created and
maintained with open
source.

The idea of ever running such a thing on my own system is completely
repulsive, but I acknoledge that I am very much a control-freak (the
reason I loved linux the instant I first used it in December of 95...)
and that most people arent, and furthermore, couldnt know how to be
even if they wanted to. These people either need sysadmins or a
package such as redhat offers (which isnt to suggest that it could
ever replace a dedicated system administrator, although it may take a
chunk out of the consulting market.)

--
jkenner@mindspring.com    __
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|