Routing Table Problems

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 14:00:43 -0700 (MST)

Am 25. Sep, 2000 schwäzte David Demland so:

> I am still having a problem with the routing table on this Storm box. The
> following is the /etc/network/interfaces file:
>
> # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
>
> # The loopback interface
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> iface eth0 inet static
> 	address 192.168.1.204
> 	netmask 255.255.255.0
> 	gateway 63.88.193.129

No gateway for this interface. At least not one on a different network.

> iface eth1 inet static
> 	address 63.88.193.147
> 	netmask 255.255.255.240
> 	gateway 63.88.193.129
> 	broadcast 63.88.193.255

OK, you're dealing with a /28, not a /24 (aka class C). You've got 16
addresses in your range. You said that before, but I figured your ISP
would provide you with correct network and netmask entries and forgot
about it.

Your gateway and address are on different networks, e.g. more than 16
addresses apart, but your netmask has only 16 addresses.

 # fix the addy
 iface eth1 inet static
       address 63.88.193.147
       netmask 255.255.255.240
       broadcast 63.88.193.145
       # network 63.88.193.128
       gateway 63.88.193.129

 # fix the gateway
 iface eth1 inet static
       address 63.88.193.147
       netmask 255.255.255.240
       broadcast 63.88.193.161
       # network 63.88.193.146
       gateway 63.88.193.129

Use one of the above clauses. The top has networking setup if your gateway
is correct, the latter if your address is correct.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com
#  You can't handle the source! - der.hans