directory Syncing

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 09:00:53 -0700

On Sep 21,  5:51am, Bill Warner wrote:

> what is the best way to get rsync capabilities between
> two local directories.  such as /foo and /bar need to be
> synced.  I have looked at rsync and rdist but both seem
> to be for syncing across two or more hosts and not for
> just two directories.  Searching on freshmeat turned up
> pretty much nothing, but I am not sure exactly what I should
> be looking for.

rsync works well between two local directories also.

...which reminds me:  I have a Perl script which does two rsyncs
between a directory on a local machine and a remote machine.  I
use it when I want to synchronize a source tree that I've been
working on locally and (perhaps) also remotely.  (I try to do
most of my editing locally, but am sometimes undisciplined and
do a bit of it on the remote machine upon which I'm building; the
whole thing works quite well so long as I don't edit the same
file on both the local and remote machines.)  I also use it to
synchronize sources on my laptop with my desktop when I travel.
It uses ssh to transport the files securely and asks for your
passphrase exactly once.

I'll post this script if there's any interest...

Kevin