rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrredhat

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 22:15:08 -0700

On Sep 23,  3:59pm, Roger Prutsman wrote:

> I just spent 12 hours upgrading my kernel on my laptop
> to enable sound. How did I do this? I had to rpm in
> the kernel from redhat's site. Otherwise, my video and
> audio would not work together. I have never installed
> linux on a laptop before this, though I have upgraded
> kernels on other nonlaptop systems. Is it me, or
> should I have more freedom with my kernel?

Roger,

You have a great deal of freedom with regards to the kernel.  There is
nothing about Red Hat's OS releases which prevent you from
downloading the sources to a kernel from ftp.kernel.org, untarring it,
and then building it in the tried and true manner.  This, in fact, is
what I usually do on most of my Red Hat Linux boxes.

With regards to having the kernel sources in /usr/src/linux, see

    http://kt.linuxcare.com/kernel-traffic/kt20000814_80.epl#4

Kevin