rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrredhat

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 16:16:47 -0700 (MST)

Am 23. Sep, 2000 schwäzte Roger Prutsman so:

> I just spent 12 hours upgrading my kernel on my laptop
> to enable sound. How did I do this? I had to rpm in
> the kernel from redhat's site. Otherwise, my video and
> audio would not work together. I have never installed
> linux on a laptop before this, though I have upgraded
> kernels on other nonlaptop systems. Is it me, or
> should I have more freedom with my kernel? After I
> rpm'd the kernel in, I went to look at it, to compile
> it- guess what? /usr/src didn't have an entry for that

The kernel tarball is the only GNU setup I know of that does it wrong. It
should not open up under linux/, it should open up under linux-2.x.x/ and
then you soft link linux/ to the linux-2.x.x/ that you want to use.

I believe RedHat does the right thing, but am not sure it tosses the
source under /usr/src.

> kernel. Does debian do this when you use apt-get to
> pull down the kernel, or does it leave the source in
> /usr/src?

debian mostly does the right thing, but I believe it tosses the kernel
source under the directory you opened it in. This is actually better than
dumping it in /usr/src, but is not the behavior we expect :). This allows
you to d/l the kernel source as a user and do everything, but the install
(or packaging if if you use make-kpkg) as a normal user.

kernel-package,
http://www.debian.org/Packages/stable/misc/kernel-package.html, is the
package you want to play with this under debian. Make sure to look at
/usr/share/doc/kernel-package/README.gz.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com
# "... the social skills of a cow on acid." - der.hans