rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrredhat

Roger Prutsman rprutsman@yahoo.com
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 15:59:16 -0700 (PDT)

I just spent 12 hours upgrading my kernel on my laptop
to enable sound. How did I do this? I had to rpm in
the kernel from redhat's site. Otherwise, my video and
audio would not work together. I have never installed
linux on a laptop before this, though I have upgraded
kernels on other nonlaptop systems. Is it me, or
should I have more freedom with my kernel? After I
rpm'd the kernel in, I went to look at it, to compile
it- guess what? /usr/src didn't have an entry for that
kernel. Does debian do this when you use apt-get to
pull down the kernel, or does it leave the source in
/usr/src?

I am going to be installing linux on a box of mine at
home, and am now starting to consider other distros (I
have used rh for over 2 years now- with a sprinkling
in of other distros.)