image buffers

Roger Prutsman rprutsman@yahoo.com
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 00:26:11 -0700 (PDT)

I have a compaq m700 running RH6.1 on it. X would not
work during the install, and it required me to install
in text mode and then come back after words and set
the /etc/lilo.conf linux entry with a flag of: vga=791

Once I did  this, everything worked great. I grabbed
down Helix and some other programs out there. The only
thing I was missing was the sound module as maestro
was not part of that distro.

I downloaded and compiled 2.2.17. I was able to boot
to it and get sound working. The problem is, X won't
work. I have read everything I can on this, and it
won't go. When I set that same vga line in lilo.conf
on this kernel, I get nothing on boot up-- the screen
displays nothing- though the hd churns. I have read
that I need frame buffering turned on in the kernel to
enable this thing to work. I am not sure where that
parameter is located. I have recompiled this damn
thing several times, with no success. The card is
recognized, but it won't display correctly. I am sure
it is the frame buffer.

Can anyone help?