Cable Modem

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 04:49:46 -0700 (MST)

Am 21. Sep, 2000 schwäzte Ronald Ellis so:

> Help!
>
> I am running Linux-mandrake 7.1 I am having problems with my cable
> modem.  I use @home here in Phoenix.  DHCP.  I have configured my NIC
> statically and I can ping my loopback and the IP address, but I fail
> when I try to ping the gateway or any external address.  I get NO ERRORS
> on etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart.  But yet I cannot get out.  Checking
> /var/logs/messages -50 I see the error
> 'SIOCSIFFLAGS resource temporarily unavailable.'  (among other

This looks like a resource conflict with the ethernet card.

What does 'ifconfig -a' give you? Do you have an entry for the ethernet
card? If you do and it lists an IP address we need the 'ifconfig eth0' and
'netstat -rn' info Rod asked for.

> successful entries).  I
> have no idea what this means.  I have scoured the HOWTO's and any other
> information regarding cable modems and tried all fix's with no effect.
> It is probably something obvious that my relative inexperience in Linux
> shows.
>
> I have also tried with configuring for DHCP.  No dice.  No blink of data
> on the cable modem. Ive tried fifty different ways of routing.  Is this
> a routing problem?  Is the error
> message above one that someone is familiar with?  I have no idea how to
> resolve this, as I'm new to Linux (recent mutineer from MicroSoft) and
> am frustrated by this.  It would be idiotic if I couldn't use my cable
> modem with Linux.

If the box is duel boot check what ints are in use for what under m$, then
see what the scoop is for Linux. You might need to hardcode your eth card
to use a specific irq.

ciao,

der.hans
--