directory Syncing

Bill Warner wwarner@direct-alliance.com
22 Sep 2000 05:51:42 +0700

> \_ > #!/bin/bash
> \_ > #
> \_ > CURRENTDIR=`pwd`
> \_ > cd $2
> \_ > TARGETDIR=`pwd`
> \_ > cd $CURRENTDIR
> \_ > cd $1
> \_ > shift
> \_ > # allow passing of arguements to the extracting tar, such as keep
> \_ > existing files, etc
> \_ > tar -cvf - * | tar $@ -xvC $TARGETDIR -f -
> \_
> \_ This seems to be close to what I need. A few questions.
> \_ this doesn't seem to account for if i have /foo/test and
> \_ /bar/test and sync them it still copies test over.  I
> \_ only want it to copy if they have changed or if it doesn't
> \_ exist.
>
> Why bother, you get that by default without bother to throw the extra
> flags...?   Unless you need the files not to go to 0 bytes for even a
> little bit.  (man tar)

This is going from two file systems on two drives.  basicly /dev/sde4
 mounted to /foo and /dev/sdf4 mounted to bar.  I would like to keep
the disk IO to a very minimal and only copy files that have changed.
basicly this is being setup so that /foo is a backup directory on a hot
swap drive  that is being taken to a non production server and backed up
to tape at a more convenent time.  Right now backups are takeing too
much time and hurting production.  This is approxamately 15-30gigs
depending on the server (47 total servers).  basicly we are really
trying
to shorten our backup time.  and this was cheaper than doing a gigabit
fiber network for backups.

--
Bill Warner
Direct Alliance Corp.