Can't build large SCSI array

foodog@uswest.net foodog@uswest.net
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 05:14:11 -0700

  You might check that your power supply(s) are beefy
enough.  I've got some old DEC BA30? StorageWorks cabinets
that'll do great with 6 RZ26 or RZ29 (1.2 or 2.? GB DEC
drives) and the antique MYLEX controller it came with.
Running the same cabinet off of an Adaptec AAA-131U2 adapter
(SCSI-3) if you try to use 4GB and/or 10,000 RPM drives you
can only use up to 4 drives.  No obvious problems when you
plug in all 6, except that initializing the array _always_
fails after about 10 minutes.  Adding a parallel power
supply makes it go with all 6.