Changing primary and secondary DNS without X

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 11:56:30 -0700 (MST)

Am 20. Sep, 2000 schwäzte sinck@ugive.com so:

> /etc/resolv.conf
>
> Format prolly documented someplace.  :-)

in the resolv.conf man page :). You shouldn't have that installed on the
firewall and I don't know that others dists have it. An old SuSE and the
new Mandrake I have here don't :(.

search firstdomain.com seconddomain.edu
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 192.168.5.13

search will search the listed domains. You can use "domain
somedomain.com" if you're only gonna have one, but I don't think it's a
real performance hit, so suggest using search and forgetting about domain
:).

nameserver expects the IP address of a dns server. Normally if you're
running dns on the box you want 127.0.0.1 as the first nameserver listed.
For a firewall you might want it to actually run off an internal
nameserver even though it's running named for external queries ( that's
how I'm setup at home :).

You can have multiple nameservers listed as I've shown above.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.Opnix.com
#  The only way for a woman to change a man