Qt goes GPL

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 14:54:22 -0700 (MST)

Am 18. Sep, 2000 schwäzte Lucas Vogel so:

> I still don't think I understand what kind of impact this is going to have
> on the Linux community as a whole, besides the fact that Debian might
> distribute the KDE now...

It helps solve one of the big probs in the Linux community. It's also less
likely that an author of GPLware will be suing KDE and every dist except
debian for illegally using his software.

At least a couple have claimed to be waiting for that opportunity.

Also, it allows the Trolltech libraries to be more generically put into
use. Don't know if that's needed, but it's a good option.

The article about Sun you posted shows that license probs are
probs. Better to not have them :).

ciao,

der.hans
--