Beware - you may be cracked

Shawn T. Rutledge rutledge@cx47646-a.phnx1.az.home.com
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 21:26:30 -0700

On Sat, Sep 16, 2000 at 08:47:02PM -0700, Rod Roark wrote:
> If you have a Linux box with a permanent net connection and have not
> been particularly security-conscious, beware!  Chances are very good
> that your system is already compromised.

I've had rstatd and ftpd disabled for a long time.  (I don't even
remember what rstatd does, some kind of status reporting probably?)

I use the web server for any uploading/downloading I need to do on my
gateway box from the Internet.  The upload scripts are in PHP and
protected by being in a directory which requires password validation.
Someday I'll get around to using SSL...

--
  _______                   Shawn T. Rutledge / KB7PWD  ecloud@bigfoot.com
 (_  | |_)          http://www.bigfoot.com/~ecloud  kb7pwd@kb7pwd.ampr.org