OT: Business Startup

John Mosier jmosier@excelco.com
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 17:18:27 -0700

John:

Another source is that of liquidators who buy from bankruptcies and other
stressed situations.  I do not know this market, but I know there is great
opportunity if you can find a way to buy at the right time.

I am looking to buy a few items that we need internally.  As a VAR,
I would not buy anything that I intend to resell.  We are specifically
interested
in flat panel monitors, a few (3-4) laptop PCs (ideally with docking stations)
for use by our techs and systems support people.  I am also looking to buy
a low-end RS 6000 AIX Server with modern version of AIX. Also, small
computer projector (with MANY Lumens) to support presentations and
training.

There are also opportunities associated with items that support a specific
culture:  I made a good profit a few years ago (Try 1986) when I bought a
truck load of HP-150 touch screen PCs that were not popular with the public
but which were in great demand among users of HP mainframes.

At 03:49 PM 9/16/00 , you wrote:
>I plan on starting up a business within the next few weeks of electronics
>liquidation(mostly computer systems and components).  I thought I would ask
>all of you since I believe a large part of this list would be interested.
>My main questions are:
>
>What items would be most appealing?  separate items?(such as hard drives,
>video cards, etc) or whole systems?(names like dell and compaq)
>
>Does it bother you that the items are usually from one of the following
>sources... 1. Customer Return, 2. Lost Freight, 3. Scratch and Dent, 4.
>Missing Documentation or Parts, or 5) Surplus / Overstock. Quality of
>merchandise can range from brand new to absolute junk (parts only).  When I
>got my new system by this way it was a return that the company said had a
>bad video card.  I opened the case and pushed the card fully into the slot
>and it has been working like a charm ever since.

Don't count on much of this.  If items look good cosmetically and like they
can be fixed easily, items will also tend to cost more when you buy them.